It took a while to convince me that tofu is edible.
For a long time I used tofu only as a substitute for white cheese. To tofurnik (tofu cheesecake), flavored cheese spreads, a few times marinated as feta. But still, fried tofu I more associate with cardboard than meat flavor.
I will not convince you that you do not find out, that, instead of meat, you got tofu. We all know that even if I’m right, the pride of carnivores will not allow such heresies. 🙂 However, minced tofu is an excellent (if not better) than minced soy pellets. I have not eaten ready minced tofu from Polsoja, though it was the inspiration for this experiment.
The mix of spices can be freely adapt and changed (or use ready-made kits for example. “To minced meat” or “the pork”), the recipe was more meant to show the process itself.
Preparing the minced tofu is approx. 30 minutes. If you prefer more fried „meat”, it may take an additional 10 – 20 minutes.
Thus prepared tofu definitely lands in the category “is yum”:P It’s ideal for preparing bolognese sauce, chili con tofu, stuffed cabbage rolls or as a salad ingredient.
I convinced you? Would you like to try minced tofu?
Let’s get started!
1 cube of tofu (180g)
1 teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon oregano
1 teaspoon cumin
0.5 tsp smoked paprika
0.5 tsp asafetida
0.5 teaspoon garlic powder
2 – 3 tablespoons barbecue sauce
2 tablespoons olive oil
- Grind dry spices.
- Warm up a frying pan 1 tablespoon of olive oil, then fry spices – until they explicitly begin to separate from fat.
- Remove from heat, put aside to cool it.
- Tofu, mince/shred with your hands or a fork into a bowl.
- Add the spices and barbecue sauce (to start with 2 tablespoons). Hand mix of tofu, trying not to grind it harder. (If needed, add rest of barbecue sauce)
- The pan, add the rest of the olive oil and fry the tofu approx. 5 – 8 minutes.
- Put the tofu on a baking tray lined with baking paper and insert for 10 minutes in the oven preheated to 200C (392F)
- After 10 minutes take the tofu out, mix with the fork and insert back into the oven for another 10 minutes.
If you want more fried or more dry „meat”, mix again and again in the oven.