Today, instead of post about nothing or story without a moral, I will tell you how to make a perfect falafels.
Perfect falafel has a soft interior and a very crispy crust. It is not greasy. It’s tasty served cold and hot. Almighty said that this falafels are „meaty”.
How to make such perfect falafels?
Let’s start with chickpeas. Usually the recipes will tell you that the best is chickpeas cooked or prepared, canned. However, it is clear not true. Chickpeas must be soaked thoroughly and raw. I leave the chickpeas at night, often I add some dried green peas (approx. 0.5 cups for every 1.5 cups chickpeas).
Second – grinder, not a blender. Another way of grinding and you get a totally different structure. And you can avoid the risk that your blender die a lot faster.
Thirdly – “by hands”. Seriously. Once we have all grounded, chopped, seasoned and added, then put your hands into a bowl and knead mass so long, until it begins to be sticky and falafels did not fall apart.
And it really is a whole philosophy. Try out, and I assure you that you never buy falafels. Because why, if homemade are so much better?
And – oil must be really hot. This way your falafels don’t be greasy.
Ingredients (approx. 40 falafels):
2 cups chickpeas (or 1.5 cups of chickpeas and 0.5 cups of dried green peas) soaked overnight = 40 dag of chickpeas
3 – 4 cloves of garlic
4 tablespoons chopped herbs (parsley, mint, coriander)
2 teaspoons cumin
1 teaspoon coriander
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon cardamom
1 teaspoon chili flakes
1 teaspoon baking soda
frying fat – coconut oil, rice, olive oil, butter, ghee (butter is not vegan)
- Cumin, coriander, cinnamon and cardamom grind.
- Rinse the chickpeas, then with garlic and onion grind in a food processor. I, sometimes, grind half of the mixture a second time.
- Add the spices, chili flakes and soda.
- Knead for a few minutes. When it starts to be sticky and you can form a ball, leave for approx. 30 minutes in the refrigerator.
- Warm up the fat in the pan.
- Begin to form a ball, I try to be slightly smaller than the walnut. Put in a pan and fry till gold.
One of the blog readersasked if falafels can be baked. Of course! But then, instead of balls, you’d better form a flattened patties.
- Warm up the oven to 180 – 190C (356 – 374F).
Put falafels on a baking sheet and bake for approx. 15 -20 minutes on one side.
Then turn and bake for another 10 – 15 minutes.
Serve with hummus, sauces, dips. In the pitas. Instead of meatballs in tomato sauce. 🙂 Bon Appetit!