I need to get a grip and do something with all these forgotten and not properly celebrated holidays. The problem is that we do not host holiday dinners. We are invited to dinners and have a festive, family gatherings, but at home.. home holidays are much like every other day. 🙂
I don’t bake cakes because (really!) only our guests eat sweets. And as there is no guests, the sweets are waiting for better times. Waste of time…
But I was looking at the last number of Slowly Veggie and my eyes caught carrot tofu cheesecakes. Since I do not eat tofu, but I like carrots very much, it gave me huge inspiration kick and I made no cheese, carrot and coconut cheesecakes.
Coconut milk and carrot. Sweetened with orange juice. Cheesecakes turned out to be a surprise and got an enthusiastic assessment of “very good is this cheesecake without cheese.” Ha! Even carrots in this cheesecakes was great.
You can make cheesecakes not only for Easter, but for persons who are avoiding both lactose and dairy products, it will be a perfect complement to the festive table.
1 can coconut milk (400 ml)
0.5 kg of carrots
2 teaspoons of agar
0.5 tsp fresh ginger
juice and zest of one orange (approx. ¼ cup of juice)
some cardamom seed (dehulled of 1 – 2 grains)
(Optional) honey, agave syrup or sugar
juice of half a lime
- Put can of coconut milk into the fridge for the night (or min. for 2 hours). The cold milk will separate into cream, water and some coconut fat.
- Put aside 2 tablespoons of cream, the rest of the contents of the can translate into a saucepan.
- Peel the carrots and cut into smaller pieces. Add to the milk.
- Add the grated ginger, juice and zest of orange (approx. 1 teaspoon zest put off for later) and cardamom.
- Cook until the carrots are tender, approx. 15 – 20 minutes.
- Translate the contents of the saucepan into a blender and mix it thoroughly. The longer we mix, the smoother dessert we get. (I was mixing approx. 8 minutes)
- Check the taste and, if desired, sweeten with your chosen sweetener.
- Pour back into the saucepan, add the agar and boil again.
- Ready cheesecakes translate into bowls (or glasses, jars, cups).
- You can set it in the refrigerator, but, by using agar, they will begin to solidify already at room temperature.
- Saved cream mix with lime juice and sweetener. Decorate cheesecakes with splashof cream, sprinkle with orange zest.