Healthy, tasty, interesting.
Steaming is, according to some studies, one of the primary forms of meal preparation. It isn’t require skills as kindle fire, all was needed was active geyser or highly heated stones and a bit of cunning.
In Asian countries, steaming is the most common, and certainly the best way to cook rice. In our area it is not a completely unknown method – we all know the steamed dumpling with various sauces.
We need to remember that steaming is considered one of the healthiest ways to cook – retains almost 70 % of the nutrients, while cooking in water gives only 40%. Often used in paleo diet, but should be implemented this way and to the ordinary, everyday menu.
For my dumplings I added spinach for color and ground flaxseed. Both components are optional.
I invite you to the next meal of my “meatless monday”.
300 g rye flour
50 g of wheat flour
0.5 cups of water
1 teaspoon of ground flaxseed
1 tablespoon coconut oil (or olive oil)
0.25 teaspoon salt
1 cup spinach leaves
1 cup dried mushrooms
1 white onion
1 tablespoon olive oil
- Blend spinach with water. Mix with the rest components of the dough, then knead until the dough is completely smooth and elastic. Wrap in cling film and put aside in the refrigerator.
- Soak mushrooms at least one hour before (I soaked them overnight). Boil in lightly salted water for a few minutes until soft. Dry and set aside .
- In the same water, in which the cooked mushrooms, cook buckwheat now. A few minutes shorter than normal, it may be slightly al dente.
- Chop onion into small cubes, fry in olive oil until soft and delicate and starts to brown.
- Cut mushrooms, mix with buckwheat and onions. If needed, season with salt and pepper. Add the egg. Mix again.
- Remove the dough from the refrigerator. Roll quite thinly, and, using a glass or mold dumplings, cut small circles.
- At the center of each of them put a spoonful of stuffing, close the dumplings. We should get 30 dumplings.
- Place a damp cheesecloth on the bottom of the steamer. Be sure that the cloth is not wet, only slightly damp. Arrange dumplings on cheesecloth.
- Steam dumplings about 10 – 15 minutes.
Serve dumplings with Greek yogurt, which you can season with pepper, garlic and a few drops of lime or lemon juice.