I know that recently I gave you recipe for minipizzas, but sometimes is really hard not to dive into pizza cravings.
So today we have another one – this time with pesto from this recipe, carmelized balsamic red onion and fresh rukola.
Pizza is also with hint of exotic – thanks to za’atar.
330 g of flour for pizza
4 g of fresh yeast
200 ml warm water
1 teaspoon brown sugar (you can use regular sugar or honey)
1 teaspoon sea salt
2 tablespoons walnut oil
1 teaspoon za’atar (or any other seasoning, or you can completely skip this step)
4 tablespoons of Sumac (available in Arabic food store)
2 tablespoons thyme
1 tablespoon roasted sesame seeds
2 tablespoons marjoram
2 tablespoons oregano
1 tablespoon sea salt
0.5 kg red onion
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
3 teaspoons of brown sugar
1 teaspoon black pepper, coarsely ground
1 tablespoon olive oil
100 ml of water
- Grind all the ingredients in the food procesor.
- In a bowl mix sugar with yeasts until becomes a liquid.
- Sift the flour into a bowl, add the remaining ingredients: liquid yeast, water, salt, olive oil, Za’atar. Stir to combine the ingredients, knead quickly into ball and, under cover of linen towel, leave it to rise for 1 – 1.5 hours
- Grease the top of dough with oil, cover with plastic wrap, leave it in the fridge for the night. You can make pizza the same day, but then the dough should be cooled for a minimum of one hour. I think that it’s easier make dough day earlier.
- An hour before baking, remove the pizza dough from the refrigerator.
- Heat the olive oil in a frying pan.
- Peel the onion, cut into quarters (or eight, if onions are large). Put in a pan and fry till browned, about 5 – 7 minutes.
- Mix together water, balsamic vinegar, sugar and pepper, then add to the onions. Bring to boil. Cover with lid, reduce heat and cook until the liquid has evaporated completely.
- Set aside to cool.
- Preheat the oven to a maximum temperature – 480°F. In the oven preheat also: the pizza stone – 30 minutes or baking sheet – 15 minutes.
- Divide the dough into 4 parts. Dust the work surface with flour and roll each one out to about 30–35cm rounds.
- Move pizza on the stone / baking sheet.
- With still open oven spread a layer of pesto on your pizza. Add the mozzarella and onions.
- Bake for about 8 – 12 minutes, depending on the thickness of the pizza.
- On hot pizza scatter arugula and serve.